Main Forum

Unusual driver problems

6 replies
ESO
Votes:
+8
ESO
MCG Member
So I'm messing around with this laptop that I recently acquired and I've had a very unusual problem. I was upgrading it from windows 7 to windows 10 which I've done before successfully before but had to do a re install due to activation issues. I lost my sound between updates. The sound card is installed but instead of being a realtek driver, it's showing as being an NVidia sound driver. The video card does support HDMI so I can understand that, but It refuses to even see that the onboard sound card exists. I've tried deleting the old drivers and installing the correct ones but they always come back as the NVidia drivers. I've disabled the drivers and get the same thing. I've gone into the bios and it has no options to change the sound card. It's really the most unusual problem. I know the card exists, I've used it. I've tried driver updaters and it still doesn't show. It's a MSI GT780R laptop that belonged to Kaysis. I'm performing a clean install right now to see if I can get it right this time around. I forgot to mention that I did have some issues with the windows update afterwards that might have corrupted something as I had to manually install several updates due to errors. I've searched the internet and MSI forums but can't seem to find anything like this particular error. I'm posting this here to see if anyone has any ideas. Hopefully this will be straightened come Monday or Tuesday after I get some time to go through the reinstall process.

Thanks to everyone
311d617ca1a9b42f.png
Posted Apr 7, 18 · OP
Xevrin a
MCG LT
Votes:
+214
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Admins
Leadership Team
ESO Lead
Rift
SWTOR
WoW Lead
Is there a bios update available? If you had trouble with windows update you may just need to do a clean reinstall unfortunately.
Posted Apr 8, 18
ESO
Votes:
+8
ESO
MCG Member
I did a clean reinstall and the driver returned. Odd.
311d617ca1a9b42f.png
Posted Apr 9, 18 · OP
Xevrin a
MCG LT
Votes:
+214
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Admins
Leadership Team
ESO Lead
Rift
SWTOR
WoW Lead
Sounds like it was a install/update hiccup then. Just had a friend's machine get borked as well with an update where his boot manager disappeared on him and he had to do a clean install as well. No idea why.
Posted Apr 9, 18
Repop
Votes:
+70
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Repop
MCG Member
That reminds of a situation I had some years ago.

Brand new PC, built from parts. Started by installing all the MOBO stuff, including sound drivers. No problem reported. No sound.

Rebooted. No sound.

Re-installed drivers. No sound.

Formatted the hard drive, reinstalled Windows, reinstalled MOBO driver one by one. No problems, nothing unusual happening. No sound.

Rebooted. No sound.

Shut down the PC, reset the CMOS, started up again. No sound.

After trying for over an hour I just gave up. Maybe it's broken. Bummer. Maybe I can try a different driver/version later. But there's nothing I could do now - so let's continue installing the rest.

Installed Nvidia graphics drivers for the graphics card.

Reboot. *Blim-blim-blam* Windows welcome-sound.

I just sat there, staring in disbelief. ;)
Posted Apr 12, 18 · Last edited Apr 12, 18
Funny
List
Undo
Xevrin a
MCG LT
Votes:
+214
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Admins
Leadership Team
ESO Lead
Rift
SWTOR
WoW Lead
Oh Windows and it's "features".

We figured out my friend's issue. He has a windows update bork on him. Then for some reason the primary OS drive was plugged into slot 1 connector on the motherboard instead of slot 0 connector, the OS suddenly had decided this was not acceptable. We changed the cables... boot manager now works and he is back up and running.... Windowssss -fas-
Posted Apr 12, 18
ESO
Votes:
+7
ESO
SWTOR
WoW
MCG Member
Ahh Windows 10. Wait until you have it decide that the printer you installed no longer conforms to modern print driver standards and it just uninstalls it. And when you reinstall it, it looks fine. But it doesn't work. So you have to do major surgery to the print spooler just to get it to work.

Look. M$. If I wanted a bloody Chromebook, I'd get a bloody Chromebook. Give me back control of my OS.
Posted Apr 16, 18
List
Undo
Happy Birthday!
Upcoming birthdays (6)
Birthday on Thu 16 Aug, 2018
Birthday on Sat 01 Sep, 2018
Birthday on Thu 13 Sep, 2018
Birthday on Fri 14 Sep, 2018
NoticeNotices